Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Flashback to 1995: "Uh-oh, it was goooooood living with you, uh-oh..."

WWOZ is on in stereo
A string of flowers haloed around your head Candle light
Ceiling fan
Curtains blow away and back again
Back again
Don't wake me, I think I'm in a dream

Sleeping is easy
I used to lay in bed for hours
I've waited a lifetime now maybe I'll learn

Calling back and forth through heavy air
The barges sound their warnings in the dark
Peace comes like a trusted friend
As it starts to rain again fall away
Fall away
So don't wake me I think, I'm in a dream

Sleeping is easy
I used to lay in bed for hours
I've waited a lifetime now maybe I'll learn
Sleeping is easy
I used to walk the streets for hours
I've waited a lifetime now maybe I'll learn

Let go of your fear, let's grow old together
Find a place along the way
Let's reel through the years
Each makes the other better
But what thoughts can I call allies
When this circle of ribs keeps working on its own?

WWOZ's on in stereo. Well it's on in stereo...

Hooray! I can successfully revisit my awkward, pudgy 16th year of life on Friday at the House of Blues when my beloved Better than Ezra makes their return to the House of Blues on Decatur St. in the Quarter.

Let's rewind to June 1995: "Good" was racing up the charts and I was instantly smitten with Tom, BTE's bassist. Puberty was terribly unkind to me, so I developed an obsession with music that has rendered me a definite audiophile. I had a gigantic cassette and CD collection by the time I moved into my college dorm, including tons of college radio staples like Guided by Voices, Sebadoh, Afghan Whigs, Drivin' n' Cryin', Whiskeytown, the Old 97's and Sonic Youth. Through these bands I discovered the Velvet Underground, Gram Parsons, old Merle Haggard records and the Replacements. Sweet mercy, I'm still an obsessive music fan, much to D.'s chagrin. ;)

Since the mid-90's I've probably seen BTE...hmmm...20-25 times? They played in Pensacola and Tallahassee a fair amount when I was in high school and college.

Their shows never fail to entertain - they're light-hearted and funny, and musically, you can't get much better than three white guys covering "Sexy Motherf***er." You just can't.

On a completely applicable side-note, WWOZ is an actual radio station here in New Orleans, famous for its roots and local music. You can tune in on any given night and hear anything from zydeco to jazz.

No comments: