Monday, July 7, 2008

Divinity, thy name is Sucre.

So my eldest niece is on the cusp of turning 16 (egads), and frankly, that merits an insanely fabulous cake.

By insanely fabulous, I mean a cake that costs nearly what my wedding cake will. Enter Tariq Hanna, the pastry chef at Sucre, an artisanal sweets shop nestled into Magazine Street.

I called Sucre in a last minute effort to plan an impromptu Sweet 16, since I had just found out she'd be here for the 4th of July. We're not a family of moguls, so spoiled fodder for MTV this girl is not. We surprised her with her cake at Ninja (she looooooooooooves sushi) on Saturday, before surprising her with a Vampire tour of the Quarter. The poor girl just moved to Ft. Polk (near Alexandria) from Alaska, leaving all of her friends behind just before her birthday.

Ouch.

Anyhow, Tariq's efforts proved to be nothing short of phenomenal - delicate chocolate chiffon cake with cookies-and-cream filling, carefully encased in fondant.

Kayla's face was radiant when she saw her cake. I had no clue at the time, but apparently her favorite TV show is "Ace of Cakes" on the Food Network. (So yeah, I was effectively ecstatic to have made her so happy.)

Alrighty then...:)



I'm going to need about 4 hours a day on the elliptical to work off all the junk food the girls and I consumed this weekend - I need to fit into a bridesmaid's dress next weekend. ::hanging my head in mock shame::

No comments: