Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Drinking wine for a good cause? Sign me up!

Every weekend, D. and I try to walk to the Monster down to CC's on Magazine St. (near Jackson Ave.) . On the way home, we invariably stop at the uberawesome Petcetera on Magazine to pick up allergic collie-approved treats and let Jake sniff the butts of other dogs/bark uncontrollably.

Hey, it seems to make him happy. Who are we as parents to deny the Monster's right to say hello to new friends/terrify them with his hoarse bark? We try to temper his barking as best we can, but he's got to be the most hyperactive collie I've ever encountered.

(And if I had a dollar for every "bald-ass Lassie" comments we get from people asking if we shave him, I'd be able to quit my job and do nothing from blog about how much I love New Orleans, grill-thiefs and all.)

The other local pet store we always hit up is Canine Culture in the Riverbend. Jake and I went to the grand opening back in June, where the poor, unloved brat got a bath and the chance to jump on numerous kids who seemed delighted to roll around the floor with a wet, bald "Lassie."

Plus, all of the money spent that day was for a great cause - the Louisiana SPCA.

Tonight, D. and I will take the Monster to this:

WHO: The Louisiana SPCA and Dog Lovers Wine Club
WHAT: “Toasts and Tails,” a complimentary wine tasting event with light hors d’oeuvres and treats for the pooches. Friendly, leashed pets are welcome!
WHEN / WHERE: Wednesday, September 5th from 5:30 p.m. ‘til 8:00 p.m.
Indoor/Outdoor event at Canine Culture, 8110 Hampson St., New Orleans, LA 70118

The local pet stores here are great, and I love that they get so involved with charities and volunteer organizations. That's exactly what I want to do here - help. I recognize my own naivete, but I really like the idea of making even a small difference in the rebuilding of NOLA.

Soapbox over, get your wine-drinking on!

No comments: