Friday, March 28, 2008

Davidson! Curry!

Muahahahahaha!

Davidson's in the Elite 8.

D. and I were the only two people in our ESPN pick 'em group to pick Davidson to get to this point.

(Everyone loves an underdog. Spoon even wrote a pretty badass song about it.)

In craptacular news, the Celtics won tonight's grudge match against the Hornets.

Here's a question - why is KU's fight song never played? I mean, we hear the "Rock Chalk" mumbo-jumbo seemingly constantly, but we never hear their fight song. With refrains mentioning "Sis-boom" I can only assume that their fight song is less rock and more...chalk?

Um, this assumes of course that chalk is bad...like Maalox chalk bad, not sidewalk chalk bad. ;)

Sigh.

Will this plague ever end? I had an important meeting this afternoon out in Metairie, and since I'm sick, I can't wear my contacts or any eye make-up. I showed up wearing my glasses and looking pastier than usual...gah.

D. and I are sitting on the couch, watching "The Full Monty" and digesting beef curry soup and apple jello in a pathetic attempt to recapture some sense of good health.

The curry soup? Helps. Here's my recipe for it:

South African Style Beef Curry Soup

6 cups beef stock/broth
2 red potatoes, chopped
3 stalks of celery, chopped
1 cup carrots, shredded
1 large onion, sliced
3/4 cup peas
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons, curry powder
1 teaspoon, cayenne
1 teaspoon, kosher salt
1 lb. top round steak, sliced thinly
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons cold water

Brown the beef lightly in one tablespoon of olive oil - don't let the meat get too done, or it will be tough and chewy. Remove the meat and set to the side. While the meat is browning, throw the potatoes into a measuring cup full of water and boil in the microwave for 6 minutes.

Saute the onion and garlic in the remaining olive oil - 2 minutes should do it. Add in the celery and saute until the onion and celery are mostly translucent. Drain the boiled potatoes and add them to the mix, along with the carrots and peas.

Add the broth and curry powder, cayenne and salt, and simmer for 15 minutes. While the soup is blending, mix the cornstarch with the cold water, and whisk it briskly into the soup to thicken it.

The soup will reduce slightly - after the 15 minutes are up, add the beef and cook on low heat for another 5 minutes. Ladle into big bowls and serve with flatbread.

Note: I had some leftover baby portobello mushrooms, so I threw those in rather than let them go to waste. Seriously, add whatever you've got lying around into the mix. I even added a little cilantro curry paste for extra flavor. From a health standpoint, the curry will open the sinuses and the cayenne will boost the immune system.

Proverbial food for thought, eh?

Yep, time for some hot tea and honey before clubbing myself over the head with Nyquil.

No comments: