Saturday, March 15, 2008

Faith and begorra!

All trite Irish-isms aside, D. and I went to the parade down on Magazine St. today. Some friends of ours own a house near Parasol's, which we all used as a home base.

In total, we caught four cabbages, three limes, one potato, one carrot and a ton of throws.

After some parade hijinks and some fairly potent jello shots, we made our way back to our friends' house for a fish fry, which was a lot of fun...until a remarkably sober me fell off the porch and landed oh-so-gracefully in the middle of the gorgeous fuchsia azaleas.

Everyone later told me (an embarrassed as hell me) that it seemed like everything happened in slow motion.

Oh dear. It's one thing to make an ass of one's self whilst intoxicated, but falling off a porch while sober is just humiliating.

I'm just sayin'.

Catfish aficionados, take note--if you're not a fan of the occasionally very fishy taste of fried catfish, try marinating the fish in yellow mustard before coating it in cornmeal. You'd be surprised how awesome it is.

In honor of my 3/4 Irish heritage, I'm offering up my family's soda bread recipe. This is not entirely altruistic, as I manage to lose 4-5 copies of the recipe every March while fervently seeking it out to bake the damned bread. This way, at least I've got a record of it, eh?

Soda Bread

4 c. unsifted, all-purpose flour (you can substitute 2 c. whole wheat flour, health nuts)

1 tsp. salt

3 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. baking soda

1/4 c. sugar (optional, but I always use it)

1/8 tsp. cardamom

1/4 c. butter

1 egg

1 3/4 c. buttermilk

Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Cut in butter until crumbly.

Slightly beat the egg into the buttermilk in a smaller bowl. Add the mixture to the dry ingredients until well-blended.

Turn out the dough onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth--roughly 3-5 minutes. Divide the dough in half and shape into two round loaves. Place each loaf into a lightly greased 9" round pan and press down. Using a sharp knife, cut a 1/2" deep cross into each loaf.

Bake at 375 for 35-40 minutes.

No comments: